A round of Applause! for Anita Lees and Michael Tuell

This week, we’re applauding Anita Lees of Enterprise Systems.

“Anita was extremely helpful in directing me in setting up important information in the Applications Manager system,” McKenzie Firstbrook wrote in the award. “This process enabled us to resolve old issues that prevented us from being able to assist students quickly and effectively. Her patience, knowledge and timely responses made the lenghty process painless. She even created a document with specific instructions and worked with me to modify the document, which was above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you, Anita! The User Services team in the Library appreciates you!”

Applause also goes to Michael Tuell of eLearning.

“Mike went above and beyond the call of duty in assisting me and my students in streamlining my D2L courses,” Veronica Balcarcel wrote in the award. “We faced unfamiliar challenges but he remained patient and positive while looking for solutions. I very much appreciate his hard work and prompt responses!”

This regular “Applause!” column features the good work you and your colleagues do around the college. It’s powered by Applause! Awards, an LCC-wide program designed to recognize you for providing excellent customer service. Know someone who deserves to be featured here? All awards are given by employees, to employees, and everyone is eligible.