In order to provide sufficient time for
planning, please note the important enrollment start/end dates for student
employment eligibility. Supervisors are responsible for communicating these
dates and ensuring their student staff are aware and adhere to them
In an effort to clarify and remind supervisors of the current enrollment eligibility requirements, please share the following information with your respective student employees as needed. Our intent is to provide students and hiring departments sufficient time to plan accordingly.
Summer semester enrollment requirement
- Must be enrolled and attending a minimum of 3.0 credit hours over a minimum period of 8 weeks during summer semester. [Example: Student is registered for 3.0 credits during the 8-week part of term that begins June 5 and ends Aug. 2. This student would be eligible to be a student employee.]
Spring semester – student employees who will not meet the summer semester enrollment requirement
- The student’s last day of working must be on or before May 16.
Spring semester – student employees who will meet the summer semester enrollment requirement
- The student is eligible to work during the break between their spring course end date and summer course start date.
New student employees for summer semester
- A student who meets the summer semester enrollment requirement, but not the spring semester enrollment requirement, may begin working as early as May 18, assuming the hired/rehired student has been approved to work and has attended New Employee Orientation (NEO).
Summer semester payroll deductions
- Students will remain eligible for the FICA exemption during the time after spring semester ends, from May 12-16, as long as the summer enrollment requirements are met.
- Students with a first date worked prior to July 2, 2018, registered for at least 6.0 credits in summer semester, will not be required to pay into MPSERS during the timeframe that the student is enrolled and actively attending class.
- Students with a first date worked on or after July 2, 2018, are not eligible to participate in MPSERS.
- Credit requirements for spring and summer semester must be met in order to maintain exemption from FICA and MPSERS. Failure to do so will result in automatic enrollment and payroll withholdings.
Questions and/or requests for additional information may be directed to either the Payroll Department at FS-Payroll@star.lcc.edu or 517-483-1799, or the Financial Aid Student Employment Coordinator at FS-FA-Student-Employment@star.lcc.edu or 517-483-1176.