Cross country teams receive national academic honors

LCC men’s and women’s cross country teams recently received national recognition, as the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) Cross Country Coaches Association announced their academic honorees for the 2019 cross country season.

The men’s team is ranked seventh nationwide in the NJCAA Division I Men’s Cross Country Academic All-Scholar Teams, and the women’s team is ranked 13th in the nation in the NJCAA Division I Women’s Cross Country Academic All-Scholar Teams.

LCC had eight students join the ranks of Scholar All-Americans by the NJCAA based on their academic achievements. Representing the women’s team is Claudia Baryo with a 4.0, Anne Lyon with a 4.0, and Sophia Spalding with a 3.5. Scholars on the men’s team are Joel Fudge with a 4.0, Austin Savage with a 4.0, Stefan Carlson with a 3.62, Dilland Havilland with a 3.6 and Cody Rapelje with a 3.5.

“They truly are a really good group of student-athletes,” LCC head coach James Robinson said. “They support each other and they work hard. From my perspective, they have been one of the easiest and most fun groups to work with during my time at LCC.”

2019 listing photo for the men's and women's cross country teams.